Please click on paintings to view larger.

Friday, January 29, 2010

"Last Light" 6x6" original oil























Decided to shake things up a bit and do a little landscape. My intent is to paint primarily still life (from life) in my daily paintings as they are sooooo challenging and good for me, but I also want to play with my landscape and urban photo reference now and then.

This is the view from my studio window -  it catches this warm golden glow everyday just before sunset. I love the complementary colors of sun and shadow, and I was especially captivated with that little touch of red in the background as shadow turns to light on the snow slope above.

I find it really helps my development as an artist to be constantly observing  nature as I'm out walking my dog, driving to work, or even just sitting in my living room looking out the window. I play the "how would I mix that color / what exact value is that?" game a lot, it really deepens my observation skills and links them to the act of painting, even if I'm not painting in that moment.

1 comment:

  1. What a studio window to have such a view! I love to see a landscape daily painting, there are really very few online. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete