Please click on paintings to view larger.

Saturday, February 20, 2010

"Peruvian Flower Ladies" original oil 6x6"





This painting was done from a photograph I took in Peru a couple of years ago. Call me crazy for trying to fit all this info on a 6x6" panel. Really. Crazy. I painted the woman on the left's face about 10 times, it was so hard to get it to read in such a tiny little space. What was fun were all the little background abstract shapes, it was easy to make stuff up that worked in this small format. Pulling that off on a bigger canvas would be more difficult, there seems to be a need for more information once I hit about 16x20. Unless of course you're Kevin MacPherson, check out how he handles this challenge, pretty amazing!

4 comments:

  1. Love the abstract feel, also great light and shadows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are crazy successful in this small format...you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz, it's wonderful!! I'm gonna buzz over to your website because I'm now dying to see your bigger work. You've captured exquisite value contrasts here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is incredible that you could create the impression of so much detail in such a tiny space. I can see how painting this small can teach you a lot. You grow girl!

    ReplyDelete