Please click on paintings to view larger.

Sunday, May 2, 2010

100 plein air paintings in 100 days - #2






#2-"Winter Grasses"
Original Oil 6x8"

10/04/10 (1:30 pm)
This was the first of 3 paintings done this day. I was setting up to paint the river scene in the photo below (tomorrow's post), but as I was squeezing out paint, the warm grasses on the left kept catching my eye, and I felt compelled to have a go at them. I really had a lot of fun with this subject, especially near the end when I used a palette knife - for the first time ever in my life! - to suggest the highest lights on the grasses. I found it to be a much better tool than a brush for this job, the color and line are cleaner, though it was a challenge to get the paint in the right place.


8 comments:

  1. wow, this one is a beauty! It just goes to show how the simplest subject matter can make a beautiful painting when handled with skill and inspiration. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a huge challenge, it makes me remember the words of the poet Fernando Pessoa "GOD WANTS, THE MAN THINKS, THE WORK IS BORN".
    Good luck and Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful job! Love the effect of the light on the snow and grasses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful colors! You really nailed the snow and the grass is so believable. Can you tell us more about the palette?

    Not sure if others had this problem, but I didn't get this one in email (got #1 and #3).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sure Bobbi, the darks are transparent iron oxide red with a little ultramarine blue and the grasses are mostly Rembrandt yellow ochre light (one of my favourite colors), yellow ochre, tr.iron oxide red and cerulean blue.

    Some weird things are happening, I know a friend who definitely got an email for #2, and I just got an email for #3 that also had #2 at the bottom of it. Hopefully there won't be too many glitches along the way, but if there are I know you'll find me Bobbi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. All three of these are beautiful. You are off to a great start! Love the movement and colors of the grasses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, just wow, you make it look so easy. Love your dog! Is he coming heli-painting?

    ReplyDelete
  8. My poochie is a "she", Lily, and she would LOVE to come heli-painting, but adding managing her around the helicopter to the trip would be a bit of a distraction, so I'm afraid she's staying home for that one.

    ReplyDelete