Please click on paintings to view larger.

Monday, May 24, 2010

100 plein air paintings in 100 days - #24/#25

















#24 - "Hidden Corner"
Original Oil 6x8"
For purchase info click here

10/05/10 (4:30 pm)
Let's talk about cranky pants painting day. Oh yeah. SUPER cranky pants...for several reasons, but let's address the biggest one. I had lent my brand new, I love it more than I can say, umbrella to a friend and was attempting to use my old, hate it more than I can say, contraption with like 19 adjustment points and a really bad clamping system - and the wind was seriously gusting. So I spent about 1/2 my time painting and the other 1/2 dropping everything on the ground and clutching my easel with both hands wondering if I was going to be the next incarnation of Mary Poppins. (Can you see me hanging on with both little legs flapping out behind me?)

Despite this, I was really thrilled to find a spot I had never been to before, and some lingering snow on the shoreline for interest. I was actually back at this spot today, all the snow is gone and the river is right up to the grass, different world.


















#25 - "Last Light"
Original Oil 6x8"
For purchase info click here

10/05/10 (7pm)
Believe it or not this was painted the same day as #24, a couple of hours later, and about 500 meters away on the other side of the road. It was serious speed painting, the sun dropped fast and my light was gone about a 1/2 hour in. I almost wiped it, but I really loved the warmth so I kept it and finished it in the studio.

Note: For those of you who don't know, you can click on any of the images in my blog to see them larger.

4 comments:

  1. These two pieces are beautiful! Glad you hung in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really amazing what you see when you turn around after finishing a plein air painting, isn't it? These are just gorgeous. And I am definitely seeing you as Mary Poppins. And I was thinking of your good umbrella and my promise to buy myself one as I looked at my Saturday painting inside the house, and saw how dark it was (painting outside without an umbrella again...).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, umbrella is imperative. Don't know how I used to paint outdoors without one...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Liz,
    I laughed out loud at your description of painting in the wind. Evidently my painting buddies and I are fair weather painters, because we wouldn't venture out in the elements like you do. My hat is off to you and I can definitely say that it's worth it. Your paintings make me say Ahhh....

    I'm really pumped for your Daily Painting workshop in Vancouver this weekend. See you then!
    Claire Christinel

    ReplyDelete