Please click on paintings to view larger.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

100 plein air paintings in 100 days - #62/#63/#64

#62 - "Early Summer"
Original Oil

10/06/26 (5:30pm)
Okay, I was DETERMINED to do a 15 minute study for this one, and finished it 90 minutes later. Just can't seem to stop when it's "not finished". Reminds me of an Oscar Wilde quote: "I was working on the proof of one of my poems all morning and took out a comma. This afternoon, I put it back in"


#63 - "Rundle Near Sunset"
Original Oil 6x8"
For purchase info click here

10/06/26 (9:30pm)
This one had about 15 minutes of light left when I started it - I wound up finishing it in almost total darkness.

Sorry I am a little behind on posting. The crunch is on now, so being out painting is going to start taking precedence over photographing/editing/posting, and I may continue to be a little behind in this area until the project is finished. Will post 3 tonight to make up for missing yesterday.


#64 - "Fading Light"
Original Oil 6x8"
For purchase info click here

10/06/27 (7:30pm)
Painted myself in circles on this one. At first it had a bright green foreground of trees and bushes, but it just didn't read so I wound up completely repainting the foreground in a more silhouetted manner to keep the attention on the background, which was the point of the painting. Definitely got lost here by not having a clear idea at the outset of where I was going and had two equal centers of interest battling it out.

7 comments:

  1. 'Early Summer' is excellent. Liz. It has great depth and mood and the reflections on the water are spot on. You're clearly a diligent worker, posting three to make up for having missed one yesterday...brilliant :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Liz, you are on a roll. Early Summer is interestingly different, I love the light on the logs and water, and the water in general. Beautiful job with the tree reflections, the bits of blue sky reflection and the sparkle. The sparkle totally makes the painting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz, #62 looks gorgeous as you log on to the blog, but I think my favourite is #63 for the lovely colours in the water and the composition, and, BTW great honesty about #64. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the mysterious atmosphere in the green landscape "early summer" at top!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All three of these posts have such a different feel. Great work. I love the warm greens in "early summer".
    Have to ask....do you miss still lifes?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for your comments girls!

    Funny you should ask Carol, I miss still life SO much! I have taught 3 daily painting workshops during this plein air project, and every time I do a demo I remember how much I love doing still life. The vibrant colors and consistent, always interesting light are what I miss the most.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have painted so many beautiful scenes since my last visit. "Rundle Near Sunset" is soooo good! When I squint I can really see the hardness of the mountain planes and the stillness of the water. This may be my all time favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete