Please click on paintings to view larger.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

100 plein air paintings in 100 days - #74/#75/#76

#74 - "Secret Vantage"
Original Oil 6x8"

10/07/07 (5:30pm)
When I found this little spot tucked away  at the base of Tunnel Mountain, I was super keen to paint it but I knew the danger would be in making it too busy. Which I then proceeded to do. After fiddling endlessly with it, I took out a big brush and knocked it all back to big, simple shapes, and immediately liked it much better!
























#75 - "Tunnel Mountain"
Original Oil 8x6"
For purchase info click here

10/07/07 (8pm)
One thing I have loved about this project is that I am getting to know places I have walked in for 20 years much more intimately. That, and discovering all kinds of little nooks and crannies that I never noticed before. I've always thought it was cool the way the strata on Tunnel arcs toward the sky, so that was the subject of this painting.


#76 - "Very Last Light"
Original Oil 6x8"
For purchase info click here

10/07/07 (9:30pm)
This was the 3rd painting on this day. I had hiked back up to the parking lot and was moments from the car when I saw this over my shoulder. I really debated whether I wanted to unpack all my gear and set up for another painting. Once again the project motivated me and then it was a race to get this down in the remaining half hour of light.

11 comments:

  1. Okay, now THESE are three of your best! I know I say this with each new post. Your light in each one is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your big brush trick in Secret Vantage surely did the trick. This is an amazing piece. I love the glow you captured.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz, I think #74 is my favorite! You really got something there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am all about "secret vantage". Looks like such a warm, inviting spot. Incredible colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh please take me to the SECRET VANTAGE!
    Your painting of it is divine ... it should make your top ten for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A note on "Secret Vantage": I was inspired by Herman Pekel (see post #68) to add a fan brush and a rigger to my arsenal, neither of which I've used before. After kicking this piece back to big, simple shapes, I used the fan brush to create the foliage on the right, and the rigger to suggest the dark branches and light calligraphy in the background. Today's lesson for me: never stop learning and trying new tools!

    Alice, we'll go friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh the light on Secret Vantage!! I need to be there, now! Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Liz the light in Secret Vantage is stunning. And the name really fits, it has such an intimate secret place feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE "Secret Vantage". I hope you will plan to do a studio piece from this study. Wonderful light and composition.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All 3 of these are so good. Secret Vantage is my favorite as well. It feels like I've rounded the corner and found a private Paradise. Those spots of light yellow green are pure genius!
    Great job on the water too.

    ReplyDelete