Please click on paintings to view larger.

Saturday, July 10, 2010

100 plein air paintings in 100 days - #65/#66



#66 - "Foothills Sunset"
Original Oil 6x8"
10/06/28 (8:30pm)
I have included a photo of the scene on this one because I wanted to illustrate that often I draw a lot on what's in front of me while embellishing based on my personal response to the subject. (I find much of this happens sub-consciously.)


#65 - "Alberta Sky"
Original Oil 6x8"
For purchase info click here

10/06/28 (6pm)
Both of these were done in the foothills just south of Calgary. I was painting once more with my new painting friends, Bobbi Dunlop and Sharon Williams.

Sharon was the guide on this evening and took us to a couple of really great locations, loved the change of scenery, especially the chance to get a sweet little farm in, not many of those in the mountains. This one will definitely be turned into a large studio painting as there is so much great material to work with. For those of you curious about the process, I will use my photo reference for more information about the structures of the farm, and the study for colour and value reference. I find there is much more latitude to push colour from a living subject. In contrast, photos seem to have a static end point that dulls inspiration. I am discovering that there is a subtle energy driving your choices when painting outdoors, things are heightened in away that is hard to explain but unmistakable.

11 comments:

  1. Felicidades!!!! muy bellas tus obras...estas invitada a ver mis blogs... recibe mi saludo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree Liz. I've been plein air painting for years and there's nothing like it. You said that so well about photos and limitations. I think that's exactly what I feel. These are gorgeous. It's interesting seeing your location in a photo to see your decisions. Again - these just glow. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing the photo, it is really interesting to compare it with the painting. You are so right, there is something wonderful added when painting from life compared to a photo, in color, in light, and even in perspective. Do you use a black and white version of the photo when painting the larger painting, or is the study sufficient to keep your mind off the colors in the photo?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You live in a beautiful place, all your locations are painter's paradise. Nice photo and painting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These turned out really nice, and it was really fun to try to get the farm scene done in such a hurry as the late evening light was changing things so quickly. Can't wait for the 'return tour'!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liz, Foothills Sunset is beautiful. The coolness of sky is a lovely contrast with the warmth of the land and the house. I couldn't agree with you more that there is no substitute for plein air.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all your great feedback!

    Bobbi, I actually use the photo as is, because there is still a lot of good colour info to work with there, when added to what I have gathered in the field. Sometimes the best colour is somewhere between the plein air piece and the photo. And sometimes the photo will give me an idea that I think would be an improvement on the field study. I find it helpful to have as much information as possible contributing to the final studio piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Liz, I love the warmth you chose to add to the mid and foreground in Foothills Sunset. I totally agree with your thoughts on pushing colour in a living subject. It worked beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for posting the photograph, it's fascinating to see how you adapt it to suit your vision and, I think, improve the scene. I love the warmth you've added to first painting, it makes it very welcoming.

    Thanks also for your comment on my New York Stoop painting. The fact that you noted the drawing element of the painting stuck with me and made me think again about my style. My latest post is a short review of my style and I've acknowledged your words in the post as well as posting a link to your blog. I'm very grateful that you popped by to leave your feedback as it really has made me think twice. Thank you and happy painting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this. Am still in awe of this project. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete